The Spanish Flu. The Great Depression. The World Wars. And now the coronavirus pandemic. The things all great disasters have in common is death, hunger and economic ruin among others. But at the same time, what these calamities have also showed is the persistence of humanity and the preservation of mankind – against overwhelming odds.
This month, CIMGlobal is raising a glass to the endurance and generosity of the human spirit, through a celebration of stories and the individuals in them, a hat tip in their direction for their extraordinary kindness.
From an anonymous good Samaritan that dropped off takeaway for the staff at a hospital in New York city – which recorded one of the highest death rates in the initial days of the lockdown – to a Sikh community in Slough, UK, led by Harjinder Singh Kukreja, that provided food essentials for free for the elderly, random acts of compassion perfectly balanced the chaos of the pandemic.
In Kenya, safari operator Pankaj Shah’s team had sent out a whopping 24,000 hampers containing enough food to sustain a family of five for two weeks, while a Turkish man named Burak Soylu literally turned into his neighbourhood’s friendly Spiderman, driving around in the superhero costume buying milk and groceries for the elderly and delivering it to their doorsteps. “My superpower is doing good for the neighbourhood,” he explained simply.
The people of the of town of Seling in Mizoram, India, took social distancing to a new level by following the traditional ‘Nghah-loh-dawr’ which means ‘shops without shopkeepers’, allowing people to buy what they want by depositing the money in a box. The tradition, operating on the principle of trust is one we could all learn from.
At times like these when we’re unable to at least share a smile behind a mask, there’s nothing truly more uplifting than random acts of kindness to remind us all we’re in this together.
- NY Good Samaritan: https://twitter.com/andrewng34/status/1238914782796943361?s=20
- Sikh Community, UK: https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/uk-news/warriors-sikh-community-to-deliver-free-food-to-elderly-in-uk.html
- Kenya Safari Team: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-kenya-aid/inspired-by-mother-teresa-kenyan-safari-operator-feeds-24000-families-idUSKCN21Y1IE
- Turkey Spiderman: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/17/pictures-day-17th-april-2020/burak-soylu-wearing-spiderman-costume-poses-photo-balcony-fence/
- Shops Without Shopkeepers: https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-news/story/in-some-mizoram-shops-you-will-not-find-shopkeepers-this-is-the-story-behind-it-1690918-2020-06-20